Wednesday 9 January 2013

Budget Beauty: A Blogger's Quest

Hey y'all!

Blogging about beauty products is my passion (hence the reason you're reading this!) I seriously love ever aspect of it- shopping for it, the excitement of trying something new, taking photos of it, and then eventually, roadtesting it!

One particular realm of beauty products that has always appealed to me is the high street. High street cosmetics (drugstore for all my American readers) are an absolute joy for me. They're inexpensive, they're always on some sort of offer, and sometimes they're pretty damn good. However, some are real stinkers that always leave me feeling kinda... cheated. Annoyed that I'd spent money (even though it was only £3) on something that would never see the light of day again in my beauty storage.

I believe that the UK high street has an excellent range of cosmetics. So broad is it, that I see broad groups and even niches being nicely filled by the brands that are on offer. I have decided therefore, to break down our high street cosmetics in chunks, and for the next couple of months I will be focusing on the budget range of cosmetic brands. Just to be clear, I have determined what I see budget as: £6 and under for the items within that particular brand. Broadly speaking, a foundation is normally the most expensive item within a line of cosmetics, so if the foundation is more than £6, it ain't budget, baby!

So, here are the brands I'm going to be investigating...

  • New York Color (NYC) Cosmetics
  • Natural Collection
  • Collection (formerly Collection 2000)
  • Miss Sporty
  • Make Up Art (MUA) Cosmetics
  • Barry M 
I'm going to be trying one item from every line within these brands, i.e. one liquid liner, one kohl liner, for example. I'm going to review them fully, with pictures, swatches and creating looks using the products. Moreover, I'm going to tell you if they're any good. Each month I'll be focusing on one brand in particular, to keep it simple. At the end of these six months, I'm going to hold a Budget Beauty Awards, recommending hero products and advising you to steer clear of the stinkers.

Sound like fun? Hell yeah, it does! I can tell you now that January will see me focusing on New York Color Cosmetics, a brand which is exclusive to Superdrug. 

Let's go!

2 comments:

  1. I absolutely adore MUA so I can't wait to see what you think of their products. I have quite a few and couldn't live without them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love MUA, but have only really tried their nail products. It will be a busy month when I come to review their products, as they are huge! It'll be fun though :) x

    ReplyDelete