Monday 13 February 2012

The Mascara Wars #2 Maybelline Volum' Express The Colossal Cat's Eyes

Hello and welcome to the second installment of Mascara Wars! This week I have tried Maybelline's The Colossal Cat's Eyes Mascara. I have always heard good things about Maybelline's mascaras, but have not tried one in absolutely YEARS. (Not since Great Lash, in fact.)

So, when I saw Cat's Eyes on offer on at Superdrug I thought, why not?



Nice bright packaging- easily spotted in a busy make up bag!



A curved spoon brush. I saw on the Maybelline stand that this is very similar to the curved brush on the Falsies mascara, just a bit thinner, and not so densely packed with bristles.

So, as in my previous and all subsequent Mascara Wars trials, here are my uncurled lashes.


And, with one coat of Cat's Eyes Mascara


Pretty nice, huh? And, toshow how well this mascara builds up, below is a pic of two coats.


I'd say this definately needs two coats to get the full lengthening qualities of the mascara.
Now, here is the same test, but on curled eyelashes. Here is a pic of my natural, curled eyelashes.


And, with one coat of Cat's Eyes Mascara

And here's two coats


Nicely separated, defined and lengthened lashes.

So what did you think judging by the pictures? I must admit, I really enjoyed using this mascara. The thin brush made it very easy to coat my lashes, and moreover, to comb through them without any clumping or excessive build up on the lashes. I'd say this mascara gave great length and definition to my lashes, but didn't any volume so much. I wonder how this mascara would work if I used it in conjunction with a thickening, volumizing mascara? Mmm. In addition, I'm pretty sure that this mascara did a better job on my uncurled lashes! Looking at the photos, what do you think?

The brush is definately the part I like the most about this mascara, and the bright packaging really stood out in my overflowing make up bag (which can resemble a black hole at times). There is nothing I that particularly disliked about this mascara, although I would say that if it's thickness or a 'false lash' effect that you're after, I'd maybe pass this one by and go for something like the Falsies instead. (Which I'm yet to try, but I hear is awesome. Will have to review it soon!)

Hope you've all had a fab weekend! 

No comments:

Post a Comment